United Counties – Aylesbury depot
Illustrations are shown with kind permission of Roger M Warwick
Author of an Illustrated History of United History Omnibus Company Limited
A brief History by Les Ansell
United Counties came to Aylesbury on the 1st December 1933 with
the transfers of work from the Aylesbury Omnibus Bus company.
These included the services:
46 Aylesbury -Buckingham
47 Aylesbury – Leighton Buzzard
48 Fenny Stratford – Wing
49 Winslow – Leighton Buzzard
51 Great Brickhill – Leighton Buzzard
The main garage at Aylesbury was acquired from Eastern National
and was situated at 22 Buckingham Street. This was bought in
July 1937 for £3000 from a Mr E Page and Mr W Morison.
As a small garage this was not meeting the operational requirements
and was replaced in 1948-49 with a purpose built garage, which was
then extended backwards at a later date.
As it was
As it is now
Eastern National then acquired the bus and Coach business ofBR> Queens Park Coaches in July 1951 which came with premises which
could accommodate up to 8 vehicles in various buildings.
These premises were also leased to the City of Oxford Bus company
from 17th Nov 1947 whilst still under the previous ownership of Osbourne
Queens Park Coaches. During its United counties time it was also
used as storage for de-licensed coaches during the winter months.
Eastern National operations ( Bedfordshire, North Hertfordshire,
and North Buckinghamshire and Huntingdonshire were sold to United Counties
(Northampton ) for £619,529 on the 1st May 1952, this involved over
240 vehicles with their various garages.
Orchard View Cottage, 34 Aylesbury Road, Aston Clinton was bought for
£2,685 in Oct 1952 , this was purchased for the Aylesbury Depot
Orchard View Cottage, 34 Aylesbury Road Aston Clinton was sold
in 1961 for £3,100 to a Mr W.S. Carlisle.
52 Queensmead Aylesbury was purchased for £2,850 to replace the
above property for the use of the Aylesbury Depot Superintendent.
ln 1968 the Walton Road premises were upgraded by the installation
of a new yard surface, the resetting of the oil tank, a new store room,
new flood lighting and 6 radiator heating points were installed.
Due to these improvements the City of Oxford rental agreement was
revised to reflect the investment and at the beginning of 1969
the rental was £300 per annum exclusive of rates.
At the beginning of 1970 the new Aylesbury bus station was open
on the Sunday 4th Jan. Within was a new travel office so the old
offices situated in Buckingham Street were leased to Army recruitment
for 7 years at annual rental of £750 and the new offices in the bus
station cost £200 per annum but the company had to pay £2000 for
furnishings and fittings and a charge of 2p per departure was agreed.
In Feb 1970 approval was granted to build a new sub workshop and
also extend the the present pits to accommodate the new 36 feet vehicles
this would have cost £4,500 but the work was never carried out until
June 1975 and then cost £14,000.
52 Queensmead Aylesbury was Sold for £10,350 on 30 April 1975 as it
was no longer used on a regular basic and had not been upgraded inside
for many a year.